Touchstone Institute is committed to providing our services at all times in a way that respects the dignity and independence of people with disabilities. We are also committed to giving people with disabilities the same opportunity to access our services and allowing them to benefit from the same services, in the same place and in a similar way as other customers.
Providing services to people with disabilities
Touchstone Institute is committed to excellence in serving all customers, including people with disabilities.
We will ensure that our employees are trained and familiar with various assistive devices that may be used by customers with disabilities while accessing our services.
We will communicate with people with disabilities in ways that take into account their disability. Upon request, we will arrange for an alternative accessible communication format for receiving and responding to customer/employee feedback.
We welcome people with disabilities and their service animals. Service animals are allowed on the parts of our premises that are open to the public.
A person with a disability who is accompanied by a support person will be allowed to have that person accompany them on our premises. It may be necessary for support persons to provide documentation for privacy purposes.
Notice of temporary disruption
In the event of a planned or unexpected disruption to services or facilities for customers with disabilities, Touchstone Institute will notify customers promptly. The clearly posted notice will include information about the reason for the disruption, its anticipated length of time, and a description of alternative facilities or services, if they are available. The notice will be placed on our website at www.touchstoneinstitute.ca
Training for staff
Touchstone Institute will provide training to employees who deal with the public on our behalf. All employees of Touchstone Institute will be trained. This training will be provided within three months of hire for new employees.
Training will include:
- An overview of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the requirements of the customer service standard
- Touchstone Institute’s plan related to the customer service standard
- How to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities
- How to interact with people with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or a support person
- How to use any special equipment or devices within our facility
- What to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty accessing Touchstone Institute’s services
Customers who wish to provide feedback on the way Touchstone Institute provides services to people with disabilities can provide it using the following methods:
- Phone: 416-924-8622
- Fax: 416-924-8921
- Email us
- Mail: Director, Human Resources and Operations, Suite 600, 145 Wellington Street West, Toronto, Ontario, M5J 1H8
- Verbally to any Touchstone Institute employee
All feedback will be directed to the director, Human Resources and Operations. Customers can expect to hear back in two business days.
All policies of Touchstone Institute will respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities.
Policies relating to accessibility can be provided upon request in a user-friendly format.